Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

all those SHADOWS almost killed your LIGHT

This week we had to take photos of "creepy shadows". Obviously, that is not something I generally take photos of, so I was a bit skeptical of my own abilities going into this assignment.
When I started taking the photos I tried to not let my natural instincts take over, which helped a lot. I will admit, I took a ton of photos that I hated, but after awhile I did start to get more comfortable and I was able to create images that I actually really like. So I hope you like my not-so-creepy, but very oddly lighted shadowy photos! Let me know your thoughts in the comments! :)

 photo DSC04094-Edit02blog.jpg

This is actually a glass of hot cocoa that I thought would be interesting to photograph. Lots of people take photos of the foamy part of hot cocoa or coffee, but I wanted to see what would happen if I turned on only a small light in my kitchen. The shadows that the glass created by having only the one light are very different and have a unique look to them. I focused my camera on the glass and ended up with this image, which I actually really like.

 photo DSC04144-Edit01blog.jpg

This one is almost funny to me, because this little cat is a cookie jar that my grandparents have had for years and my cousins and I are always discussing how creepy it is! For this photo I turned off all of the lights and aimed a flashlight at the cat. The light wasn't directly pointed at the cat, so it created a ton of shadows and I think overall this photo definitely has a "creepy shadow" feel.

 photo DSC04147-Edit01blog.jpg

I used the flashlight again for this photo and I thought it was amazing how completely different this photo was compared to the other. In this one the light is shining almost directly on the photo, which gave it much harsher shadows. Whereas in the other photo the light wasn't hitting the cat at a direct angle. I thought it was interesting how different the shadows in the two photos were just by changing the angle of the light.

 photo DSC04163-Edit03blog.jpg

Look! I finally figured out what to take photos of! Because of the lighting for this photo, I wasn't able to focus on the flower as easily as I had hoped, but I think it actually worked better because of that. The flower is in focus in areas, but as it gets closer to the edges it begins to blur. I thought this gave the photo a more dark feel and I ended up liking it better that way.

 photo DSC04173-Edit01blog.jpg

I like that this one has much darker shadows, so much to the point where they almost take over the photo. It's the exact same flower as the photo before, just a different angle and a slightly different perspective. Comparing these two photos really helped me to see how much the cameras perspective can change the photo.

 photo DSC04178-Edit01blog.jpg

This is possibly my favorite photo out of them all. Again, perspective. Instead of standing in front of everything and looking at it directly, I stood behind the vase and focused only on the sparkly purple twig thing. Since the light is coming from below everything around and behind the twig is dark. I love everything about this photo. The color (it's my favorite color, oh my goodness), the line of the twig, the way that everything is so dark, and how the sparkles catch your eye because they are so bright. I just love it!

4 comments:

  1. I love love love that you pushed yourself this week and you were uncomfortable but then started to have more fun and become more comfortable. When I saw that cat cookie jar picture I laughed because it was so perfect for this assignment - every element came together so well to make an ordinary object totally creepy. The lighting and images here turned out really well and I think you were really successful this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really like the second and fifth photos. They have an eerie feeling but are also professional looking. Your lighting and subjects were really good for this assignment. If I were to suggest anything it would be maybe a little bit more focus in some of your photos. Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These are really good! I especially like the ones with the dried flowers! They are so unique and the shadows look really good without completely taking over the photo. Nice job! All your photos turned out really great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos, they really give off the creepy vibe. The light reflecting of the cat jar's face gives it the extra creepiness. The use of lighting makes the photos look really awesome while still being able to tell what they pictures are.

    ReplyDelete